Historic Lithuanian Church in Brooklyn Restored

Parishioners of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church (Photo by Corazon Aguirre/ebrooklyn media via Brooklyn Reporter)

After a yearlong renovation, the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church in Williamsburg held a rededication and consecration ceremony on Sunday, March 24, reports John Alexander for Brooklyn Reporter. The house of worship, founded by German immigrants and now serving a Lithuanian congregation, will soon mark a monumental anniversary.

The mass officially marked the merger of Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary and Our Lady of Mount Carmel parishes and the creation of Our Lady of Mount Carmel-Annunciation Parish.

The Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church was built by German-speaking parishioners in 1863; it has been an ethnic Lithuanian Catholic parish since 1914. The beautiful and ornate Romanesque structure also houses a privately run special education preschool and community events.

Highlights of the restoration include the altar, the baptismal font, the ambo, an oblong pulpit, the ceiling and lighting, the murals and the 100-year-old pipe organ brought to the church in 1930. Renovations have all taken place over the last year. The church, opened in 1870, will celebrate its 150th anniversary next year.

Go to Brooklyn Reporter to read comments from parishioners including one who marveled at a sight she had not seen in years at the church, and from Lithuania’s ambassador to the U.S. who remarked on the relationship between Lithuanians and churches.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*